NETFLIX REDESIGN

Featured Case Study


We chose Netflix as the leading video streaming platform in the Spanish market. We approached the approach to the problem that we had to solve and the obstacles that we had to overcome in order to create a functionality that met the needs of the platform users.

Lean UX Canvas

We have used the Lean UX Canvas which consists of iterating, based on the process of constant improvement. After conducting the interviews we made some modifications to our initial Lean UX Canvas

After conducting the interviews we made some modifications on our initial Lean UX Canvas, this being the final result.

In this way we have managed to resolve what would be the benefit of our user, the obstacles that arise and what we want to achieve.The main hypothesis with which we can synthesize this information is:

'We believe that we will achieve a 10% increase in users compared to other platforms due to the new functionality for sharing live movies if users from other platforms can feel closer to the other person by sharing screen through a video call.'

SWOT

To delve a little into the real situation of the chosen company in the market, we decided to apply a SWOT analysis, a strategic analysis tool to find the most relevant Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats in our business.

Competitive analysis

It is essential to know what we are doing wrong and what we can do to improve, for this we have made use of the Competitive Analysis tool, it helps us to relate the company with its environment, so we could detect strengths and weaknesses in the design of our functionality.

In order to better understand our users, a total of 12 interviews and 67 questionnaires have been carried out
The interview script was made thanks to the information that we were getting from the various methods discussed above. A series of guerrilla interviews also contributed to shaping the script. In the interviews, very valuable information was revealed to us for our investigation. 

Most commented that they used Netflix and that they watched movies in company and preferred to watch series alone unless it was a key chapter. In addition, reference was made to the need to comment on the films: "My boyfriend lived in Scotland and called him constantly to watch movies and series at the same time" Regarding the survey data, it is evident that Netflix continues to be the most used online video platform with 73%, above its strong competitors, thus maintaining its leadership.


The users

Our research focuses on Netflix users. Thanks to interviews and surveys we have been able to define a type of user. For this, we have used the tool known as User Persona, which, as I mentioned in recent weeks, will help us create an archetype inspired by patterns that we have observed.

User Persona

We also did a User Journey highlighting the User Scenario that helped us to know and understand our user on an emotional level ...

User Journey

Solution

We used the Moscow and other new ones like the Moodboard, the Style Tiles and the User Story, we managed to organize all the data and ideas helping us to find design opportunities that helped us to design our prototype.
With Moscow we found a way to prioritize ideas to reflect them in the design, identifying what was the main and the secondary.

Moodboard

This tool helps us to get an idea of ​​how we want to start our project by making a visual display of photographs and colors that will reflect the character of the product.

Style Tile

This tool is similar to the Moodboard but they are much more specific and they help us to talk with the client about the aspect of the web.

User Story

This tool allows us to establish an Agile system, through a representation of a requirement expressed in writing and using the user's own language.

User Story

User flow

The user flow or User Flow is an illustration that shows how the user will interact with the web, in this case we have done it using low-fidelity prototypes. 

Error display

Another new concept that we have included this week has been to incorporate an error screen into our project.

Prototype

Once we have gone through all this process, it is time to prototype. The first thing he resorted to was the Crazy 8 technique in this way we were creating wireframes spontaneously and then we were unifying criteria and outlining how we wanted our lo-fi prototypes to be.

Once all our wireframes had been designed by hand, we decided to test them, which helped us make some modifications. Below you can see a video showing the route that our users would take to carry out the following mission:

Mission: Use our new video calling functionality and fix the error.

Diseño High Fidelity

Finally, making the appropriate modifications, a redesign of the prototype was carried out, this time in a high fidelity model. This being the final result:

Prototype video

I would like to thank my colleague Clara Requejo who, although we come from very different backgrounds, has taught me a lot about design and we have also managed to carry out the work with good humor and professionalism. Thank you very much! 

I hope you liked it. This has been it, if you want to know how the whole UX / UI process was in depth you can send me a message by filling in the following for.